This simple frittata recipe will probably be your new go-to for a wholesome egg-based dish you’ll be able to serve and revel in any time of day. It assists in keeping and reheats smartly, which makes it a very good make-ahead meal. These days I’m sharing my 2 favourite variations, a lawn vegetable frittata and a Mediterranean-inspired frittata. Make it precisely like I do, or mess around with the recipe and make it a little bit another way each time!
What Is a Frittata?
If you happen to’ve by no means made one sooner than, right here’s a snappy advent to this scrumptious 1-pan meal. Whilst it’ll resemble a crustless quiche, you’re the use of double the eggs and half of the milk/cream, so the feel is extra strong and not more creamy—extra like a thick, baked omelette.
You’ll start cooking it at the range, after which switch it to the oven to bake. So a skillet that may move from range to oven, reminiscent of a forged iron skillet, is vital. Extra in this underneath.
Like every selfmade omelette, breakfast strata, or breakfast casserole, you’ll be able to customise the flavors of this frittata through opting for other add-ins. Make it precisely like probably the most two tactics I describe underneath, or mess around with the recipe and uncover your individual favourite model!
To sum up, you’ll love this frittata recipe as it’s:
- Make-ahead pleasant
- Can also be served heat or at room temperature
- Full of protein and greens
- A lot more straightforward and quicker than making particular person omelettes
- Infinitely customizable!
The ratio of eggs to exploit is other: This frittata recipe makes use of 8 eggs and 1/2 cup milk, whilst my quiche recipe makes use of 4 eggs and 1 cup milk/cream. This implies the feel of a frittata is extra strong and strong, like an omelette; the feel of a quiche is creamier, and extra custard-like. A quiche is in most cases baked in a pie crust; and a frittata begins in a skillet at the stovetop, after which finishes baking within the oven.
You want to, however I don’t suggest the use of handiest egg whites as a result of you’ll lose numerous richness and taste that the yolks supply. If you need to check out it, use 2 entire eggs and six egg whites. Or do that lightened-up crustless veggie quiche.
Base Components in This Frittata Recipe
Let’s beginning with the bottom components of this frittata recipe. That is the start line you’ll be able to use each time, after which upload to your decided on greens and/or meats.
- 8 Massive Eggs: The root of the frittata!
- 1/2 Cup Milk: Entire milk makes for the finest texture, but it surely’s a small quantity, so it’s now not a large deal to make use of low-fat or nondairy milk as a substitute. Use cream or half-and-half for a creamier texture.
- Salt & Pepper: Those make stronger all of the different flavors you’ll upload on your frittata.
- 1 Cup Cheese: You’ll be able to use no matter form of cheese you revel in very best in an omelette. Within the 2 frittata recipes detailed underneath, we’re the use of shredded sharp cheddar and crumbled feta.
- Olive Oil & Garlic: Cook dinner garlic in some olive oil to offer the frittata a flavorful beginning.
Similar to with my recipes for quiche and breakfast casserole, you’ll be able to adapt this frittata recipe on your style, however in case you’d like some inspiration, listed here are my 2 favourite variations:
Lawn Vegetable Frittata
This model comes from crew member Beth. She in most cases roasts the greens within the oven first, however we made up our minds to chop that step to peer if lets make the recipe sooner… and it labored! So for this lawn vegetable frittata, you’ll prepare dinner the greens within the skillet to melt them a little sooner than you pour within the egg aggregate. Right here’s what to incorporate:
- Purple Onion: Slice half of a crimson onion and upload it to the pan with the garlic.
- Candy Potato: Cut up a candy potato, and prepare dinner it with the onion and garlic.
- Purple Bell Pepper: Diced crimson pepper provides a pop of colour, however yellow or orange peppers style simply as excellent!
- Zucchini: Slice a small zucchini, and halve any greater rounds.
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese: In recipe trying out, gentle cheddar’s taste were given misplaced in right here. Use a sharper cheese for the best-tasting vegetable frittata.
After the greens have softened at the range, pour the egg aggregate on height and let it prepare dinner for approximately 5 mins sooner than moving to the oven:
Mediterranean-Impressed Frittata Recipe
Frittata is Italian, and so naturally, Mediterranean flavors paintings splendidly in right here. There’s no want to pre-cook those already-soft components, so you’ll be able to upload the whole thing correct into the egg aggregate. Right here’s what to incorporate:
- Artichokes: I exploit canned quartered artichoke hearts, and drain them smartly.
- Recent Spinach: Give the leaves a coarse chop.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Halved cherry tomatoes upload colour in addition to taste.
- Prosciutto: This salty, thin-sliced ham is dry-cured, so no pre-cooking is needed. Slice into bite-size items. Be happy to disregard for a vegetarian frittata.
- Crumbled Feta Cheese: I like the creamy, salty tang of feta, however a shredded laborious Italian cheese, reminiscent of parmigiano reggiano or pecorino romano, would even be scrumptious on this Mediterranean-inspired frittata.
Get started at the Range & End within the Oven
Simply as I confirmed you above, a head-start at the range “units” the egg aggregate which is helping save you a watery frittata. That is vital as a result of whilst you come with greens with a prime water content material, reminiscent of zucchini and tomatoes, it’s vital to prepare dinner off a few of that moisture.
After about 5 mins, the sides will have to be effervescent and starting to set, after which you’ll be able to transfer the skillet to the oven to bake:
Now that is most likely the toughest section! The pan could be very sizzling and the mix continues to be very liquid, so use 2 oven mitts and move slowly to switch it tremendous CARE-FULL-Y to the oven.
Bake for approximately 22–26 mins, till the frittata is puffy and the middle is not wobbly/rainy. Let it cool for no less than 10 mins sooner than you slice into it—the frittata will proceed to arrange because of the residual warmth from the pan.
Highest Pan to Use
Since you beginning the frittata at the range, after which switch it to the oven, a pan that may move safely from stovetop to oven is vital. A seasoned forged iron skillet is highest right here.
That is the forged iron skillet I’ve, and I extremely suggest it. It’s affordable, comes pre-seasoned, works on all kinds of cooktops, heats lightly, and is made to final an entire life. (No longer backed, only a true pan fan!)
This 10.25-inch-diameter, 2-inch-deep length is what I exploit for skillet turkey pot pie, skillet cornbread, sea salt and herb rolls, bruschetta rooster, cornmeal cake, biscuits, and extra. Discuss an invaluable pan to have within the kitchen! You’ll be able to in point of fact use any 10- to 12-inch oven-safe skillet that’s about 2 inches deep.
What to Serve With Frittata
Fruit and a contemporary arugula salad are simple, wholesome aspects. Or, in case you’re serving the frittata as a part of a larger brunch, it might plate effectively along any of those favorites:
Simple Frittata Recipe (Make a selection Your Upload-Ins)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook dinner Time: half-hour
General Time: 1 hour
Yield: serves 8
This straightforward frittata recipe will probably be your new go-to for a wholesome egg-based dish you’ll be able to serve and revel in any time of day. Beneath are my 2 favourite variations, a lawn vegetable frittata and a Mediterranean-inspired frittata. Practice the recipes precisely, or mess around with the add-ins and make it a little bit another way each time!
Base Frittata Recipe
Model #1: Lawn Vegetable
Model #2: Mediterranean-Impressed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- In a medium bowl, ideally one with a pour spout, whisk in combination the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Fold in about 3/4 cup of the cheese (cheddar for model #1/feta for model #2), booking the remainder for topping. Put aside.
- Warmth olive oil in a 2-inch-deep, 10- to 12-inch-diameter oven-safe skillet over medium warmth. Upload the garlic and prepare dinner, stirring, for approximately 30–60 seconds (don’t let it brown). Proceed with both model underneath.
For the Lawn Vegetable Frittata:
- Upload the crimson onion and candy potato to the pan with the garlic. Cook dinner for five mins, stirring once in a while, till they start to melt. Upload the crimson peppers and zucchini, and season with salt and pepper. Cook dinner for some other 5 mins, stirring once in a while.
- Pour the egg-and-cheese aggregate over the greens and prepare dinner for five mins, with out stirring, till effervescent/beginning to set across the edges. Sprinkle the remainder 1/4 cup cheese on height.
- Moderately switch the skillet to the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 22–26 mins, or till the frittata is puffy and the middle not wobbles/seems to be rainy.
- Switch the skillet to a twine rack, and let it cool for no less than 10 mins sooner than reducing and serving. Frittata will proceed to set because it cools. Best with chopped contemporary parsley, if desired.
For the Mediterranean-Impressed Frittata:
- Fold the spinach, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and prosciutto (if the use of) into the egg-and-cheese aggregate.
- Pour the egg-and-cheese aggregate into the pan with the cooked garlic and prepare dinner for five mins, with out stirring, till effervescent/beginning to set across the edges. Sprinkle the remainder 1/4 cup cheese on height.
- Moderately switch the skillet to the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 22–26 mins, till the frittata is puffy and the middle not wobbles/seems to be rainy.
- Switch the skillet to a twine rack, and let it cool for no less than 10 mins sooner than reducing and serving. Frittata will proceed to set because it cools.
- Garage Directions: Quilt leftover frittata and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Microwave particular person slices to reheat or position slices on a covered baking sheet and bake, lined, in a 350°F (177°C) oven for five–10 mins, or till warmed all through.
- Freezing & Reheating Directions: It’s very best to freeze the totally baked and cooled frittata (except you need to freeze the in part cooked egg aggregate to your skillet, which—for very best effects—I don’t suggest). Cool baked frittata utterly, reduce into slices, switch slices to a freezer-friendly container, and canopy tightly. Freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to consume, thaw within the fridge, and microwave particular person slice to reheat or position slices on a covered baking sheet and bake, lined, in a 350°F (177°C) oven for five–10 mins, or till warmed all through.
- Particular Gear (associate hyperlinks): Blending Bowls With Pour Spout | Whisk | Solid Iron Skillet (or any oven-safe skillet that’s 2 inches deep and 10 to twelve inches in diameter)
- Egg Whites Most effective? I don’t suggest the use of handiest egg whites as a result of you’ll lose numerous richness and taste that the yolks supply. I recommend the use of 2 entire eggs and six egg whites.
- Milk: Entire milk supplies the finest style and texture, however you’ll be able to replace lower-fat or nondairy milk in a pinch. The usage of heavy cream or half-and-half will make for a creamier texture.
- Different add-ins: Keep on with 2 to three cups overall add-ins, and use the bottom recipe as the start line on your personal variation. You’ll be able to pre-cook any greens at the range with the olive oil, garlic, and seasonings such as you do within the Lawn Vegetable model. Common white/gold/crimson potato, broccoli, mushrooms, and/or asparagus also are nice additions. Cook dinner till softened sooner than pouring within the egg aggregate.
- Can I upload different meats? Sure, completely. You’ll be able to upload cooked diced ham, sliced rooster sausage, flooring sausage, and/or shredded or chopped rooster. Fold pre-cooked meat into the egg-and-cheese aggregate, or be at liberty to brown a little with the garlic/greens at the range sooner than including the egg aggregate.
- Serving Measurement: 1 slice vegetable frittata
- Energy: 179
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 340.4 mg
- Fats: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.3 g
- Protein: 11.1 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 202.6 mg